Thursday, July 5, 2007

A rose by any other name is still a rose


What is the name of the baby going to be? The family clambers ( is that an authentic English word?) in anticipation. I am glad we are not in Kerala south of Chennai where uncles and aunts vote in for names such as Sweetie,Baby,Cutie = and sometimes these are men names and you have a 40yrold man called Cutie George = or 40 yrold females called Rosy Thomas etc. I dont know why I think those names are monstrous but consider the names my cousins have as really very good- Ranima, Kuttima, geetamma - thats from my father's side but from my mother's side it is all english names,Cynthia, John,Daniel , Priscilla etc. I voted for a nice Indian name such as Preeti for the baby but who listens to an Aunt these days!I think my sister-in law is into rhyming sibling and biblical names- so the first girl is Hannah and the second I think is going to Suzaanah-- Who is Suzaanah in the Bible by the way - Anna yes ..In her family all have Biblical names- Ruth, Rachel,Rebecca -- three R's very clever.

One of my friends has a name Chickoo Jacob - and the story goes that just after her birth, the mother called the older brother ( she has two brothers before her) and asked him when he was 8yrs old what he would like his baby sister to be called and he looked outside of the living room and gazed outside thoughtfully at the chickoo tree ( it is like Kiwi but a lot sweeter and brown interior) and said ever so wisely 'chickoo' so here she was Chickoo = she is as sweet as the fruit but a fruit is hardly what springs into mind when you know her - So whats in a name anyway- though she is grateful he didnt say Sapota ( which is another Indian name for the same fruit- used in south india as opposed to central india where she is from- ) . Well the official word isnot yet out on the baby's name and I hope it is announced soon or alas she may end up being called pappu for the rest of her life -because that's what her sister calls her now.
PS.Also I hope there is no NON THINKER"S BLOGGING AWARD - (that would hurt very much however deserving for my dandruff piece unless it is considered a compliment to get a award such as that- no chance for the latter I think in this day and age) BTW, I blog to relax and be nonsensical at times- recreation away from work and a shot at being creative - the latter by a long shot as I am computer challenged - I know I am xeroxing Amrita's words but my grey cells have put a'fully' stop right now.So hope The Amrita will not sue me.Yes Yes the lime worked for my dandruff but I had to use two .

4 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

OK! Since you were too lazy to look it up and yet you have asked someone, I shall tell you! Susanna was one of a group of ladies who traveled around with Jesus and the 12 disciples. It seems that these ladies contributed to the daily support of the men out of their own private means. She is only mentioned once, to my knowledge, in Luke 8:3 -- no description, just a name!

It is truly funny to hear you and Amrita's opinions about names! I certainly hope this baby gets a good name!

Becky Wolfe said...

Most people I have known usually have the baby names picked out long before the birth...but sometimes at the birth they see the baby and change their mind. I hope they find a suitable name soon. I too like Biblical names :)

Amrita said...

A rose by any other other name would be just as sweet (word to that effect)

Really funny Janet. I find Kerala names quite cute...the Jolly Baby types. They relax you.

But you don 't know the North East...their names sound like medicines...Novorina...Valdano...Simchi (I pray they don 't read this otherwise they get me with their famous head hunting axes)One of my sisters bro in laws is called Grimm...what a happy name.I think the pharmasutical (I spelt it wrong) companies should go tp NE India to get inspiration for their new concoctions.

Preeti is a lovely name BTW

Janet Jeyapaul said...

Carol Ann, that was kind you. It is not an often mentioned passage or for that matter verse or name, I think. I could have never quoted that reference off hand . In the little Bible study group here , the leader asked the group" how many of you'll have read Luke 25" Almost all the hands went up- a little confusedly, a little awkwardly, giggling ,smiling faces looking at each other but in the end all the hands went up. When all had gone up, mine went up - nobody wants to be caught on the wrong foot of not knowing the scriptures. But that was fast Carol Ann-now I can quote that reference to the group here.
Becky, yes Biblical names are cute, but I would have preferred an Indian name atleast as a middle name..You can have best of everything then,I think.. I may be wrong
Amrita, the happy thought is as in the story told an unusual name can have a brighter side too..like the love and affection of an older sibling - It is my personal opinion that Christians in South India are misinformed of plus points of English names/for that matter Biblical names - it scares nobody out here- just has the opposite effect I would say- BTW nothing relaxes me as a little henna on the head and a bleached face - certainly not a Kerala name - atleast of someone I dont know