Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chennai gets toilet savvy!!!

When I first came back to India from US, getting toilet paper was a big thing.. I had got so accustomed to the toilet paper that to think how by and large most Indians cleaned up after their ablutions was disgusting.. Yet for the larger portion of my youth and young adult life, that is what I even I did..OOH.Since we lived in the suburbs getting toilet paper was a big thing... only the posh shops in downtown Chennai , a good hour and a half from where I lived, carried the paper, that to once in a while It was a luxury of all luxuries. True, Indians make a great distinction between their left hands and right hands-- the former to clean their poos and the latter for the more worthwhile activities like writing and eating etc. The right hand knows what the left hand does and keeps away from it...Anyway when I was in Mumbai two years later after my return from US , I found the Mumbaites had made a great advancement in that area..No not toilet paper but a middle ground between left hand and toilet paper... a bottom cleaning shower... Yes Yes it is located close to the toilet bowl and has a pipe that ends in a tiny but powerful shower head. You press the leverage close to your bottom and wow a forceful jet of water cleans you up thoroughly..I was impressed. Now with the passage of a few more years, I find that middle class homes in Chennai have installed the jet system as well...
In the US I remember the technicians in the lab.. I mean the American ones used to love to tease us about the Indian toilet habits and we Indians would desperately try to change the topic..Anyway it is a disgusting topic to dwell on and with India getting into the'jet' age (ha!Ha!) that topic is forever closed I think

3 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

My oh my! The toilet stories go on and on in this little blog ring! Let me add mine:

Even in Toronto, there is a segment of society that can not afford to purchase toilet paper! My work mandate often takes me and my co-workers into their homes. One of my co-workers had a rush call rumbling stomach need one day and banged on her client's door asking desperately for permission to use the facilities. Greatly relieved, moments later, she called out to ask her client if she had any toilet paper. She was informed with the warmest possible gesture of hospitality that she could feel free to use the rag on the side of the tub!

Nandini Murthy said...

Great site for these post and i am seeing the most of contents have useful for my Carrier.Thanks to such a useful information.Any information are commands like to share him.
Toilet cleaning in chennai

buyket said...





تعد عملية التنظيف من اهم الخدمات التي يجب ان تكون متوفره دوما ليساعدنا علي حياه افضل لنا جميعا ولكي تتم علي اكمل وجه يجب الاستعانه بمتخصصين في هذا المجال
تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
نظرا لما يمتلكون من ادوات وسبل للوصول لاعلي مستوي نظافه ممكن